≡ Menu

Is a Standing Desk Worth the Investment?

The WorkFit C-Mod, Dual desk by Ergotron is a terrific addition to any office or home office. This is one of those new, adjustable desks. It allows you to move it from a sitting to a standing position, which is pretty cool. It looks nice once put together and gives you the option to stand when working, which the New York Times reports is a great idea. So why am I not urging everyone to rush out and buy one of these things? As I discuss below, the cons outweigh the pros.

Pros:
Option to stand while working
Having the option to stand at my desk instead of sit is something I’ve been working on for quite a while. I’ve rigged my own setups that never seemed to work, and tried to find a suitable desk replacement. So when I finally got to try the WorkFit, I was pretty excited. Sometimes after being at school sitting in class all day, I just want to stand up for a bit. At work, it would be nice to have the option. But beyond personal preference, the health benefits of standing instead of sitting are apparently huge. According to one New York Times article:

Lipoprotein lipase [is] the only molecule affected by muscular inactivity. Actively contracting muscles produce a whole suite of substances that have a beneficial effect on how the body uses and stores sugars and fats.

Which might explain the following result. Men who normally walk a lot (about 10,000 steps per day, as measured by a pedometer) were asked to cut back (to about 1,350 steps per day) for two weeks, by using elevators instead of stairs, driving to work instead of walking and so on. By the end of the two weeks, all of them had became worse at metabolizing sugars and fats. Their distribution of body fat had also altered — they had become fatter around the middle. Such changes are among the first steps on the road to diabetes.

Conversely, a study of people who sit for many hours found that those who took frequent small breaks — standing up to stretch or walk down the corridor — had smaller waists and better profiles for sugar and fat metabolism than those who did their sitting in long, uninterrupted chunks.

Nice design
This thing looks good. I apologize for forgetting to take a picture of mine completed, but as you can see from the company’s photo, it’s a nice looking desk. Theirs looks better anyway. My monitors are different sizes and colors so it’s less than ideal. The table gives you ample room for writing and taking notes, or having a book open. The way the wires are set up, they are all hidden nicely away, and so is the CPU. This gives your office or bedroom a nice organized feel to it.

Cons:
Assembly
The assembly on this thing was rough. I will be the first to admit that I’m not very good at putting things together, so that may have contributed. I got through the first half or so of the assembly all by myself, but it took a long time. Several hours and several ounces of sweat. Then I had to call in for assistance.

I’m not sure it’s possible to put this thing together by yourself. To mount the CPU you have to get the cords to go into the grooves in these little pieces of plastic that you adhere to the CPU. Then, while holding the CPU and making sure the cords don’t slip out, you have to use an allen wrench to tighten it into place. I would put the overall difficulty at 5/10, with 1 being taking a nap and 10 being rolling a boulder up a hill for all eternity. However, the time that it actually took still seemed pretty high.

The base comes put together already.

Price
This is the big breaking point for me. If you’re an associate in a big law firm making well over $100,000 a year, that’s one thing. I will not be making that much, and I certainly don’t make that much now. That’s why the $800 price point of this desk seemed a bit high to me. I think $500 is a much more reasonable price point for a desk like this, especially considering the space limitations discussed below.

Room for your stuff
I could have gotten over the price and the difficult assembly. Coupled with the lack of this desk’s ability to compete with my usual desk though, I can’t recommend it for anything more than an addition to your office. On my regular desk, I have a 24 inch Cinema Display, a 17 inch regular display, a printer, four speakers, and room to put a book or notebook down. Now, of course I don’t expect this desk to have room for all of that. I knew going into it that the Cinema Display wouldn’t be mountable. I knew that my surround sound speakers wouldn’t make the cut. Then I had nowhere to put my printer. That just seems infeasible for an office of any kind. I was initially under the impression that the CPU would move as the unit was adjusted. This was not the case. That meant that some of my shorter USB cords wouldn’t reach the desk when the unit was at its tallest.

Conclusion
So that’s my take on the standing desk. Definitely a nice addition to an existing office, but I don’t think it can replace your primary desk. Have you tried standing while working? Let us know in the comments.

Disclaimer: I was given one of these desks by Ergotron to review.

Comments on this entry are closed.

• golf June 21, 2014, 1:35 am

For sure taking lessons is an obvious way to improve your golf game, but
    which lessons are the right ones. Why does he have this
    feature, well, again as “rumor” has it, he accidentally hit
    a duck in one of the ponds, and a covert paparazzi got
    a video of that using an FAA unlicensed micro-air vehicle,
    and put the video on You – Tube, but luckily thanks to Internet
    Censorship features, they took down the site before it went viral, and removed
    the video before PETA a big group supporting Obama could
    see it. This is a more convenient way that allows charging the battery
    while enjoying a round of golf in a sunny day.

• make extra cash Phoenix June 27, 2014, 8:51 am

Link exchange is nothing else but it is simply placing the other person’s webpage
    link on your page at appropriate place and other person will also do similar
    for you.

• working from home tips Phoenix June 27, 2014, 1:48 pm

Hey there! This post could not be written any better! Reading this post reminds me of my previous
    room mate! He always kept talking about this. I will forward this
    article to him. Pretty sure he will have a good read. Thanks for sharing!

• horoscopes free horoscopes June 27, 2014, 9:57 pm

whoah this blog is magnificent i love reading your articles.
    Stay up the good work! You realize, lots of persons are searching around for this information, you can aid them greatly.

• lose weight on June 28, 2014, 7:00 am

Wow, that’s what I was searching for, what a data! existing here at this
    weblog, thanks admin of this web page.

• junk removal boston ma July 12, 2014, 8:53 pm

Hey just wanted to give you a quick heads up.
    The words in your post seem to be running off the screen in Internet explorer.
    I’m not sure if this is a format issue or something to do with internet browser compatibility but I thought I’d post to let you
    know. The layout look great though! Hope you get the problem resolved
    soon. Many thanks

• sondage rémunéré panel institut July 13, 2014, 7:11 pm

It’s appropriate time to make some plans for the future
    and it is time to be happy. I have read this post and if I could I wish to suggest you few interesting
    things or tips. Perhaps you can write next articles referring
    to this article. I wish to read even more things about it!

• attorneys Miami July 15, 2014, 1:44 pm

Hey there! I could have sworn I’ve been to this site before
    but after checking through some of the post I realized it’s
    new to me. Nonetheless, I’m definitely delighted I found it and I’ll be book-marking and checking back
    often!

• Hanna July 15, 2014, 10:40 pm

Obtain business liability insurance if you venture into this business.
    Chain auto body shops are more of an assembly-line atmosphere where
    more than one technician may work on one job and, therefore, they often hire technicians with only one experience level in paint, body, or frame repairs.
    Finally, keep in mind that most minimum liability policies will not cover the damage to your vehicle, only the other guy per se.

• solar power canberra a.c.t July 16, 2014, 5:07 pm

Furthermore, you can even go for the financing options
    available for those who want to shift to a sun-powered energy system for their home.
    I think we, all of us – not just in the USA – should take action on our own. Furthermore, some governments are now more than willing to grant solar rebates,
    renewable energy certificates and feed in tariffs to any individual or establishment using solar energy.

• roof systems yorkshire July 17, 2014, 12:21 pm

For newest information you have to go to see the web and on world-wide-web I found
    this website as a best web site for latest updates.

• photography charlotte nc July 17, 2014, 8:38 pm

I just like the helpful info you supply for your articles.

I will bookmark your blog and check again here regularly.
    I am quite certain I will be told plenty of new stuff proper here!
    Best of luck for the following!

• Ezequiel July 18, 2014, 2:20 am

With havin so much content and articles do you ever run into any problems of plagorism
    or copyright violation? My website has a lot of exclusive
    content I’ve either created myself or outsourced
    but it looks like a lot of it is popping it up all over the internet without my agreement.
    Do you know any ways to help protect against content
    from being ripped off? I’d genuinely appreciate
    it.

• heat and air repair Waukesha July 19, 2014, 1:07 pm

Write more, thats all I have to say. Literally, it seems as though you relied on the
    video to make your point. You clearly know
    what youre talking about, why throw away your intelligence on just posting videos to your
    blog when you could be giving us something informative to
    read?

• furniture long island July 20, 2014, 7:32 am

magnificent publish, very informative. I ponder why the other experts
    of this sector do not notice this. You must continue your writing.
    I am sure, you’ve a great readers’ base already!

• brooklyn real estate July 20, 2014, 3:29 pm

This post offers clear idea in favor of the new people of blogging, that truly how to do blogging and site-building.

• is long island a city in new york July 20, 2014, 4:09 pm

you are in reality a good webmaster. The website loading velocity is amazing.
    It kind of feels that you’re doing any distinctive
    trick. Also, The contents are masterwork. you’ve done a wonderful task in this topic!